BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Monday, October 5, 2009

Back Into the Jewelry Biz

Tonight I went on one of my favorite sites, etsy.com. About 7 years ago I started making jewelry to prove a point to my daughter that half the jewelry she wanted (due to the name attached to it) was way to expensive. I could probably make her some of the pieces similar to it for a lot less. Here was the problem at the time, I was not a crafty person. So little old me went into a local craft store one day and bought some beads and wire and got a book and started making jewelry. Who would have thought that I would end up being the jewelry instructor at that same store several years later. Then I went on to teach night classes at a local high school a few times a year. On day when I was on the Internet I found etsy.com. I immediately decided that I would try to sell some of my pieces there. My first sale was about a half an hour after I listed it on my site. I sold 3 pieces. Now here is were the sad part of the story is, I have no self esteem. I would look at all the gorgeous pieces that everyone else made and thought my jewelry looked amateur compared to theirs. So as many times I would swear to myself that I would get really motivated and make more and really try to promote my site, I would always fail. See I don't have the money to buy sterling silver so mine always has to be the cheaper materials so that in it self made me feel inferior.

Due to trying to get Kady in college and working my job and oh yeah starting college online myself, I haven't been making jewelry at all. Everyone I have taught have totally taken off with small little side businesses and not doing bad. Now it is my turn to take the bull by the horns. I decided tonight that I have to start designing pieces again. I definitely need the extra income. So, there is my first goal to achieve. I am going to try to make a piece a week. Wish me luck.

1 comment:

  1. Wishing you the best with your jewelry design. I am an aspiring designer myself! Creativity is a fickle mistress! Inspiration will come, just keep being persistent!

    ReplyDelete